Sunday, November 3, 2013

Quick thought on judging

Have you ever been on a jury? Ever had to judge a person based on evidence given to you by strangers? Ever had to decide a complete stranger's fate by conversing with other strangers? I've never actually sat on a jury but I almost did. It was for a murder trial that happened in Fairfield, Ohio. Thank goodness I got out of it. I cannot imagine if I would have been part of deciding that man's fate!

So why is it so easy to judge other people? When you're out and about, do you find yourself judging people? Critiquing them? Looking at their clothes, car they're driving; what brand is on the bag they're carrying out of the mall? Do you see a mom disciplining her child while you're at the park and think "I would have NEVER handled it that way." Do you feel frustration toward someone when they complain about a situation that they're in; wondering "why did they do that in the first place?" or thinking "they got themselves into the mess they can get themselves out of it!"?

I think we all experience thoughts like these every now and then. I think its scary how natural they seem to happen. Where do these thoughts get us? What good does it do? What are we judging by? Are we comparing to ourselves? Have you ever wondered what others say about you?

Maybe we judge other's so that we don't have to look in the mirror; So we don't have to face our own faults or mistakes. Maybe it's almost a defense mechanism. If we focus on someone else's poor choices, mistakes, sins-we can put our own out of our minds.

Jesus didn't judge other's, but He could have because He was perfect! He had compassion, humility, kindness.  The book of Matthew and the discussions I've had in my bible study have been a complete reality check for me. 

In Matthew 5, Jesus is giving his Sermon on the Mount. He talks about fulfilling the laws and discusses murder, adultery, divorce, oaths, eye for an eye, and love for enemies. I was really moved by the other referenced scriptures. 1John says "Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in heaven." Wow. When I read this I really had to search my heart for grudges or disagreements I might have. I prayed that God would free me from these.

Matthew 5:25 says "Settle matters quickly..."

Matthew 5:44-45 "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you that you may be children of your father in heaven."

It's so easy to point fingers and not focus on the things that WE need to work on in our own lives. In Matthew 7 Jesus says "Do not judge or you too will be judged." I think it's also important to remember "for in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

When we judge each other and are hypocritical, it only causes hatred. It takes me back to 1John. I truly believe that if people dealt more with the one in their mirror, studied the Word, and modeled after Jesus, it would alleviate much of the hatred in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment