Tuesday, November 5, 2013

What do you treasure?

My amazing husband recently posted this on Facebook:

"I've finally realized the more you get (material things, money, job titles etc) the more you worry about losing those things. The more you give (love, time, an ear to listen) the more you get (hope, grace, love in return). It's a basic concept that I've over complicated for a long time."

I admire this so much and he and I discuss this often. Jesus says "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy and where thieves break in and steal" Matthew 7:19. He says to store up treasure in heaven where nothing can destroy it. Where your treasure is your heart will also be. 

So what does that mean?? Well I've been thinking about it a lot and especially with the holidays around the corner. It's so easy to get caught up in the traditions of things such as:  shopping for gifts, trying to get the best deals on Black Friday, getting the latest technologies, games, movies, toys for our kiddos, baking enough cookies for our company, getting a new outfit for New Year's Eve...sound familiar? I think about how fun all of these things are and how special traditions can be in a family. I also think about Lilly. I think about how she is watching us; our reactions to situations, our decisions, what we value. I'm very excited to create new traditions with our little tripod and even more excited to give more.

Rodney and I visited a church this weekend that was entirely different from any church I have ever experienced. Their  church was held in a workout space so naturally they had to transform the room. They had a "welcome table" in the back with donuts, coffee, and snacks. They had set up chairs in rows to serve as "the church." There was a music stand up front and a few microphones and the kids all went upstairs for children's church in another workout room type area. By no means was it a "church" but it was certainly a church setting. "Where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." Matthew 18:20

So needless to say we had an amazing experience. We were approached personally by the pastor and the children's leader when we came through the door. I handed Lilly over to the children's leader with as little worry as I could (she's with me 98% of the time) :p She actually slept-which was a blessing because their service was right in the middle of her nap time. The worship was wonderful, the pastor's message was genuine and hit home for Rod and I AND best of all, the children came downstairs for communion with everyone. We spoke with the pastor afterwards and he explained how the children and the next generation are a big focus of the church. He also said that they take the children's curriculum and build onto it for the adult service! This was music to an elementary teacher's ears!!

So what does this have to do with treasures? This church clearly has their treasure stored up in heaven. The ministries they lead and the ideas that they have are genuine and from the heart. At Christmas time (and nearly all year round) they focus on disadvantaged families, women and children. They may not have a huge venue of a church with a giant sign outside advertising their services; Or the largest crowd of people headed to lunch around noon- but they offered a genuine love of God and Christ. Their mission in the community was very clear and they were welcoming to anyone who wanted to enter those warehouse-type doors. Their treasures were assisting the community and teaching others about Christ.

During the service the pastor talked about Christmas being an invasion. He talked about how when baby Jesus was born it was the beginning of the war-a war among the people- whether they would accept Him or live in the kingdom of the world.  Christianity makes people uncomfortable because they actually have to challenge their choices, lifestyles, and where their heart truly is. The beautiful thing about it? God is on our side. Yes, He wants us to follow His will, but He adores us so ferociously that He protects us in the process. 

So I'm asking myself often what do I treasure? What do I value? I can easily get wrapped up in my tripod and focus only on myself. It's definitely something to work on and listen to God about. 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dzgSGHpVrJQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdzgSGHpVrJQ

His love is furious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment