Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What to talk about?

One thing I've realized I'm insecure about with being a sahm, is talking with other moms who work outside of the home. I find myself feeling inferior or that I have nothing to talk to them about. I wonder sometimes if they view me as that barefoot pregnant person that just washes clothes all day (no I'm not pregnant again- just giving a visual). No one has made me feel bad about being a sahm; maybe I take on this idea myself and worry about it on my own. It's definitely a weird feeling though and situations can be awkward. 

When I was working I had my own idea of sahms. I wasn't always sure what to think of them. When I would see a super fit mom I'd think "gee must be nice to have time to really work out and focus on your body." If a student would miss class to go somewhere special with their parents during a school day I'd think "Must be nice to go to the zoo on a less crowded day than a weekend day." Although I would have never admitted it then, I think I envied these people and situations. I didn't have any kids and I wasn't even married yet, but I look back and see the envy that I had. 

When I was still teaching I really did enjoy being able to spend money on things that I wanted to spend money on. Rodney and I do a good job of budgeting I think, but the days of going out and buying something right when we wanted it have been altered. Now, there is definitely a sense of pride that I get when we do save money or pass up on something that we want. It makes me feel proud to know that I don't have to have something right when I want it. I hope that Lilly will learn this lesson as she sees her dad and me make decisions about how we spend our money. It is certainly something to get used to though. Priorities have changed.

With that said, working mommies should be THE MOST respected people in my opinion. They do everything that I do and they work full or part-time. They are away from their children so that they can earn a living, make something of themselves in the work force and contribute to their family in more ways than I am. They most likely also cook, clean the home, etc. You will not see me compare working moms and sahms. We all do good, important and valuable things for our families. 

So what do sahms and working moms talk about? Well for one, they can talk about their kids. Second, they can talk about their spouses and third, nearly any other topic will do. Maybe the government shut down perhaps. Ugh. 

This is clearly something that I struggle with and will need to overcome on my own. Whether people envy me or I envy them, I need to focus on my "job" right now. Lilly will always be watching me-so whatever attitude I portray, she will learn. Lilly may grow up and not want or not be able to have children. She might be very career driven or maybe a family just doesn't appeal to her. For now, my goal is to treat others the way I want her to treat others. It is important to me that she sees me be a working mommy no matter where I am or what I'm doing. Modeling a work ethic is the most important thing to me.

Next time I'm talking with a mom who works outside of the home I will refrain from screaming that I have a Masters degree in education. I will enjoy talking about the weather, my sweet Lilly, my wonderful husband, or maybe my favorite type of ice cream. I pray that God will help me remember who I am and not worry so much about who I want to be or what I'd like to have. Besides Jesus was humble and He was a nobody to many. I will work on modeling after Him so that Lilly will model after me. After all, God's purpose for me is to be with Lilly (for now anyway). 

Matthew 5:25 Therefore I tell you do not worry about your life, What you will eat or drink or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment