Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Self

I haven't written in a LONG time and my heart has changed quite a bit since the last post. My heart has grown, as I now have two precious children and not just sweet Lilly. Charlie came to us in Chattanooga, Tennessee in October 2014. He's such a sweet toddler now!! Twenty months today!

My heart has also grown in my faith. My heart has been heavy since I recently studied Revelation with BSF. God's mercy and justice were perfectly married together in ways even the most talented writer couldn't have come up with! But my heart is heavy for those who do not believe. I'm now studying Romans with my Mom and the truths that Paul shares should be heard by all.

Romans 2:8 says "But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger."

I've been here. I've been self-seeking, doing for myself only, thinking of MY life, what makes ME happy, what path I want to follow, what plans I want to make. When things didn't go my way I'd get so bent out of shape. There were times of temporary happiness or when things seemed to be going okay for a short time; but in the long run? My life was miserably unpredictable and unhappy

I'm not saying that if you believe in God your life will be predictable or that it will always be happy. From my experience, believing in God has given me peace and hope. It has also convicted me and caused me to analyze self not do for self. This seems to be the part that most people don't like and ultimately turns them off from Christianity (along with what organized church has portrayed to many but that's another conversation for another time). 

All to say-if you're living for self and that's working for you-awesome. But please know it will not last. There is no light at the end of the tunnel for that lifestyle. There is no happy ending, and there is no protection from God's wrath. The only way to eternal life is through belief, love and trust in Jesus Christ. The saying "the truth hurts" may be appropriate here if your heart is feeling convicted. Conviction is part of the faith. Realizing that we are far from perfect, even me, a Christ loving and God fearing Christian, is the first step in knowing Him. Confessing your sins (which I have to do on a daily basis), asking for forgiveness, and then obeying Him are the other steps in accepting Christ. It will transform you but it will be a better you. The you God created you to be.

Dangerous SELFs

self-will
Self-identity
Self-seeking
Self- ish

These will all cause pain, frustration, rejection to some extent OR the opposite. You might find other people who accept you, love you, make you feel that you're in the right to do for yourself. "The world is cruel," they'll say. "Do what's right, what's best for YOU." If you choose this path as I did for a long time, you will suffer eternally. What happens on earth doesn't stay on earth, Heaven knows all. Eternal happiness is what I want but don't deserve. 

So as I've read and thought about these words, death has become more tragic to me than ever before. The truth of where people go when they die is concerning to me given I know so many non believers. I feel an urgency to share about God's wrath. However there is good news too!!

Lamentations 3:22-23 "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

To receive such mercy these dangerous SELFs have to turn into selfless

God bless,
Katie 
.





No comments:

Post a Comment